Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Grandpa's Fudge

This is my Great-Grandpa Alfred's famous fudge. It is AMAZING! 


This is the pan he made the fudge in when he was about my age. You see the lines that go across it? They are creases so that when you poor the fudge in there, let it cool, and finally take it out, there are creases in fudge that guide you on were to cut it. Perfect squares every time!


I'd like to share with you a couple of things about my great-grandpa. He was a great man. He passed away two years ago. It was very sad, but all the memories of him are still with me. He was my dad's grandpa and my grandma's dad.


I'll never forget the Story my mom told me about how he met his wife, Cari. To me this story is like a fairie tale, read and you will see why. When they met each other, Cari's dad did not aprove, and told him to go away. They kept in touch through letters for quite sometime until Alfred decided that he would go to her house and ask her to marry him. Yet her dad still did not aprove and told her if she was going to mary him, she had to go and never come back. She did. I still remember mom saying that they went every where with each other and rarely were ever apart.


Alright, so how about I tell you some memories of when we would go to his house. My mom would call and tell my great -grandpa that we were coming. He would tell her to be sure to go to the store and pick up chocolate milk, and of course she did because no one can ever say no to the man. So after we got the chocolate milk, we would go to his house and he would already have a batch of fresh waffles baked. Mmm, they were good. As we ate the waffles, he would make his famous fudge, our favorite thing EVER!!!


I'm shure you wouldn't mind if I told you the story behind the fudge, would you? Well, When he was about my age, He made it and sold it to his family for a penny. Yes, only a penny! Any way, when he saved up enough money, he would go buy himself a pair of overals. Thats right, HE saved up for his OWN overals. I think that's really cool.


So that's my great-grandpa. It might seem like just a story to you, but to me it's a memory that I will never forget and it means alot to me. My great-grandpa was one of my favorite people to visit. I loved his stories, his waffles, and most of all the memory of that amazing fudge.



Thank yous:

                    I'd like to thank my mom for telling me the story of how my great grandpa met his wife

                    I'd like to thank my grandma for making the fudge and lettingme take a picture of it

                    Last, I'd like to thank my Great-Grandpa Alfred for all the great memories.


This isn't just a thought, It is a wonderful memory that I won't ever forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment